Monday, March 9, 2009

John 3:16

My favorite place to shop for clothing is Forever 21. Maybe it is because I perpetually lie about my age and will be forever 21 or because one is able to find inexpensive clothing that is trendy. There are some things I don't like about this store. One being their return policy: Exchange or store credit is allowed within 21 days of purchase with original receipt and tags attached. Merchandise must be unwashed, unworn(define please-see last sentence of this paragraph), and undamaged for exchange or store credit. Don't get me started on sale items, you just can't exchange them, or get store credit, so you better like it. I suppose in this economy, that is good for them, but it is a pain in the ass for me. Why, you may ask? Because you have to try everything on right then and there to see if it fits and looks good. The store is forever crowded and one is only allowed 6 items in the dressing room at a time. I have spent several hours standing in line for a dressing room then trying on items only to end up buying one shirt.

But, the one thing that really grinds my gears (to quote the sage, Peter Griffin) about Forever 21 is the bottom of their bags. On the bottom of the Forever 21 bags, in bold black letters, it says John 3:16. Now seeing that I am a recovering Catholic, I had to look this up online. It is from the most widely read book of fiction called the Bible. John 3:16 goes like this: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I wonder if Forever 21 sees the irony in this? Many of the clothes in this store, I'm sure, are made in sweatshops around the world. I would think those sweatshop kids are probably perishing and have a short life. A lot of their clothing is for the slutty and whore-y, myself included. From what I can gather from the news, Christians (Evangelicals the likes of Jim Baker, et al, excluded) are pretty much against sluts and whores. I also must wonder WWJD? I think he would have a better return policy.

I am baffled by this and wonder what John 3:16 has to do with clothing? But hey, thanks God.

No comments:

Post a Comment