Sunday, April 12, 2009

Observing and Reporting

The other day I went to go see Observe and Report. It is a new movie from the great mind of Jody Hill starring Seth Rogen, Ray Liotta, Michael Pena, and my favorite funny girl, Anna Faris. Oh, and of course, a few minutes of the incomparable Danny McBride. This was the second time I have seen this movie, and I will probably see it again before it leaves theaters. Yes, it is THAT funny.

The first time I saw the film was during the SXSW film festival (thank you Bif). Every seat was filled. The theater was packed because the cast and writer/director were there. It was also the world premiere. That's right ladies and gentlemen, I saw it first. Jealous much? Oh yeah, it was also a film festival. I guess I'm not as priveleged as I thought.

The second viewing was at a matinee, on a holiday weekend, where there were only about 10 people in the theater. Sitting in front of me, with a seat between them, were two guys. I had seen them walking into the theater together, obviously there to see the movie, with each other. This gave me pause. Why would someone go to a movie with a friend and then not sit next to them? I had to do some research.

I asked some guy friends if they knew what is it called when two guys, who go to the movies together, sit a seat apart. One said, "homophobia". The second said, "I don't know but Urban Dictionary should have a word or phrase for that." Well, I looked it up on Urban Dictionary, and there was not a definition for this phenomenon. Yet, I did find one reference. "I'm not a homo seat" is apparently how it is defined. Friend one was correct.

This was not the first time I have noticed this. I don't think it would disturb me as much if it were the first time. Wow, in this day and age? Who would have thought? Two friends afraid of their own sexuality. Maybe they should just get a room and watch movies on pay-per-view.

Hey guys, observe this! It makes you look like pussies if you can't even sit next to a same-sex friend at a movie for fear of being called a homo. There seems to be the excuse that you can stretch out and have some room. You are in a movie theater. There isn't any room for personal space, and so, it is just that, an excuse. Get over it! You are not men. I hope you aren't too afraid to go see I Love You, Man. You might catch something. Self confidence perhaps?

Observed and reported by Pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment